Friday, June 1, 2007

Miss Korea Returns Home From Mexico


By Seo Dong-shin
Staff Reporter

Miss Korea Lee Honey said she was happy with the crown she reaped at the 2007 Miss Universe beauty pageant _ the third runner-up.

``I couldn't bring the honor of Miss Universe to my country, but I think I took the first step. I believe there will be better results for those who come after me,'' the 24-year-old said during a press conference at Incheon International Airport upon returning from the 2007 Miss Universe beauty pageant held in Mexico.

Asked what she thinks of anti-beauty pageant voices, she said the answer is ``simple and clear.''

``Miss Korea is necessary to promote the beauty of Korea around the world,'' she said. ``I realized at the Miss Universe event that it was a truly global festival. It was not just about gathering mere beauties together, but an occasion for everyone to show each country's traditional clothes and culture. Rather than criticize the pageant for `commercializing women,' I think there should be some acknowledgement of the beauty of the times.''

Asked what she wanted to most after having been away from her home for one month, she said she wants to go to church, have a ``half-bath'' _ bathing the lower half of the body in hot water for 20 to 30 minutes _ and eat kimchi.

Lee, who is also a graduate student of the traditional Korean music at the prestigious Seoul National University, said she is determined about her future dream.

``It is to promote Korean culture around the world. I have to think more about what kind of weapons are necessary for that purpose.''

saltwall@koreatimes.co.kr

source

No comments: